Friday, August 29, 2008

And Time Stood Still...

for half a second to take this picture. A couple weeks ago, we were in Rexburg, Idaho for Staci & Kyle's wedding. Before heading off for their reception, we spent a few minutes giving Sam's Uncle Ed and Aunt Fay a quick tour of the BYU-Idaho campus. We didn't have time to see the whole campus, but we did have to show them our favorite place on campus...The Galley (BYU-Idaho's cafeteria). Just seeing The Galley brought lots of memories to my mind.



Six years ago (2002), I was eating what I thought would be a quick lunch at The Galley. After I began eating my lunch, a very handsome fellow, who introduced himself as Sam, asked if he could sit right across from me. I said sure. (I was all dressed in church clothes, not feeling too cute because it was one of my no makeup days and it was my first time ever wearing my hair curly. Why was I all dressed up? I was in the University Choir that was performing in that Tuesday's devotional). Anyway, we had so much fun chatting at lunch that Sam asked if he could meet me for lunch the following day. I looked forward to seeing Sam at lunch. I waited and waited for him, and ended up eating lunch without him. I couldn't believe that Sam didn't show up! Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I went about my afternoon and returned to The Galley for dinner. Sam was there. Of course I asked him why he didn't show up for lunch. His excuse was that he was too busy taking a test, which he ended up getting an "A" on. Of course, I forgave him and let him eat with me. For the next few weeks, (it was towards the end of the school year), Sam and I would eat together if we just happened to be at The Galley at the same time.

One time after dinner, Sam asked me where I was going. I said that I was going to go to the gym to workout. He walked me over to the Hart Gym and we stood in the hall right outside the girls locker room. I guess Sam couldn't get enough of me. He talked and talked about his mission and other things. I was listening and occassionally looked at my watch to see what time it was. (That was my weak attempt to politely tell Sam that I had to go. He never got the hint). So much time went by that I no longer had time to workout. Sam walked me over to the library and talked non-stop while I quickly finished studying for my final exam in Geography. I liked Sam, I really REALLY did, but he was beginning to drive me crazy! Finally, I put my foot down and said something like, "Sam, I have to go in the testing center right now and take my final exam. They're giving out the last test test any minute. I'll see you later." And in the door I went to take the exam.

We found out each other's plans for the summer and exchanged contact information. Sam went to Ohio and worked as an Electronic Technician for NorthStar and I went to Jacob Lake Inn (near the Grand Canyon's North Rim) and worked in the gift shop. About a week into my new job, the pay phone rang out side of the gift shop. My co-worker answered the phone and told me that there was a GUY on the phone for me.



The GUY on the other line said, "Hi Lisa! How are you? How's your job?" I proceeded to tell this guy all about my new job and then say, "How's your job going, Mike?!" "Mike...this isn't Mike!" he says. "This is Sam!" "Sam...???" For the life of me, I couldn't remember who Sam was! A picture of Sam's face finally popped into my head, and I kept talking to him. I always looked forward to Sam's phone calls, letters, and emails. We got to know each other better, mostly through our "phone dating." But we still have all of our emails and letters that we wrote each other.

A few days before fall semester started at BYU-Idaho, I got a ride back up to Logan, Utah. My older sister, Emily was in Logan too. We stayed at our grandparents' home and stayed up late talking about Sam. Grandma and Grandpa Hallstrom drove us down to Emily's apartment in Provo. Sam came over, met some of my family, and took me out on my first official date. Sam drove me up to the mountains and we hiked Squaw Peak. It was great to be reunited with Sam, such a great friend.

Sam drove me back up to Rexburg, Idaho and helped me move into my new place. I remember calling my mom (in New York) to tell her that I made it back to Idaho. She was glad that I was back, but still wondered about this "friend" that had brought me back to Idaho. Emily had talked to my mom and told her that I left Provo with a GUY! So naturally, my mom asked me who this GUY was and if he was my boyfriend. I told her all about Sam and that we were just friends. (I told my two older sisters, Amy and Emily, all about Sam throughout the summer and told them not to tell Mom and Dad about him. I've always been the kind of girl that likes to keep secrets from others. It wasn't that I was embarassed about getting to know Sam better, I just didn't want my parents to know about him yet). But from that point on, they heard alot about Sam.

The first time that Sam held my hand, September 3, 2002 was the day that he asked me to be his girlfriend. I told him that I didn't want to be his girlfriend, but that we were just really good friends. Strange though, I told him that I didn't want to be his girlfriend, yet we still held hands whenever we were walking around together. Guess I was the one afraid of committment. He's seemed okay with that. The fall semester of school started and we saw each other practically every day. We took a religion class together, ate dinner together, went to the gym together, went on dates, etc. Sam and I had fun getting to know each other better. I would always introduce Sam as my friend, but most people already knew that Sam and I were dating exclusively.




Sam and I would hang out with Kevin and Becky quite a bit. (Kevin is Sam's older brother). The first time that I met Sam's whole family was at Kevin and Becky's wedding, November 2, 2002. I was excited to meet his family, but a little nervous too because Sam had already told his parents that he wanted to marry me. While Sam was inside the Idaho Falls Temple for Kevin and Becky's sealing, I was at the Visitor's Center with Sam's sisters, Rosanne, Laura, and Staci. After the sealing, it was time for the pictures on the temple grounds. When it was time for the big family picture, I was holding several winter coats. Sam's family kept telling me to set the coats down and get in the picture. So, yeah, I was in their family pictures and I wasn't even a member of their family. My roommate, Lalove, picked me up that night and asked me all about my day. I told her of me being in the family pictures and she said, "Girl, if your in the family picture, than you are going to be in that family for good."

See me in the bottom left side of the photo?  Two thumbs up!


Well, Lalove was right. I am a member of the Ward Family now. Sam and I got engaged on December 8, 2002, we got married in the Palmyra New York Temple on May 10, 2003, and have been married for over 5 years now. We have two wonderful boys, Brian (3 1/2) and Tyler (8 months). Life is good. Who knew that I'd meet the love of my life while eating lunch at The Galley?!


* Sam and I also worked as dishwashers in The Galley while we were dating, engaged, and for a few months after we got married. Oh, the memories!!!

11 comments:

Koreena said...

So fun to hear your whole story. I'd heard a lot of that, but never all at once.

becky ward said...

yeah, the first time i have heard the entire story too. how fun!

Anonymous said...

I had not even head the whole story. Dident Sam propose at Hariss Hill?




-Ryan Hallstrom

Ali said...

What a cute story! ...and what a trip down memory lane it must have been for you. That was fun to read your whole meeting, dating experience. The Lord works in mysterious ways!

Monica said...

That was great story Lisa! I have never heard the whole story. I just remember seeing you and Sam for the first time at the grocery store and how shocked I was that I thought I saw you holding hands! You were so set on a mission! You guys make a great couple and have cute kids!

Camille said...

That is the cutest story ever!!! And guess what?! I remember the picture event! I was there and hugely FAT and pregnant with Kaylee! Crazy, huh? I remember you holding a heap of coats and then coming up for the picture. Hee hee!

Lisa said...

Camille- you have a great memory! That's neat that we were both at the same event. Don't hate me, but I don't remember seeing you that day. Now I wanna see Kevin & Becky's wedding pictures and see how cute you were...pregnant and all.

Lisa said...

Ryan- Yep, you're right. Sam proposed at Harris Hill.

Rafa and Rosanne said...

Thanks for sharing the story! It was fun to read it, I didn't remember the whole story. That is a good one. :)

Valley Girl said...

oh my gosh.... you were right persistant! And you....man, were you playin hard to get.j/k. I love this story... what a fairy tail!

And yes, I agree we need to get together sometime... I think it would be really fun to throw a giant family reunion for grandmas birthday...what do ya think?

Karen Hallstrom said...

Isn't it time to add Katie to that story?