Sunday, October 21, 2012


Last Tuesday was one of the longest days I had in quite awhile.  To make a long story short, I was pretty much driving around in my van from 10am to 5pm.  Wonder why?  Read on.

So, my friend, Lauren and I decided we should take our kids to the park before the "balmy" fall weather was over.  I went down the slide with Katie and was following her around as she pushed her baby doll in her umbrella stroller.  Not a minute later, I hear Tyler with an awful "I'm hurt" kind of cry.  While running towards my screaming boy, I see him curled up in the fetal position, tears streaming down his face, with his hands covering his mouth.  He wailed in pain as I peeled his hands away from his blood filled mouth and see blood smeared all over his hands and chin.  It took a few minutes to clean him up, and this is what I saw...  

Those teeth marks on his face sure looked deep and my fear was that the cuts went all the way through the skin.  And as we pack up early, it starts to rain.  Lovely.  Just lovely!

After picking Brian up early from his half day of school, my Grandma Hallstrom ended up meeting me the house to take care of a very hungry and fussy Katie.  The boys and I went to see the on call doctor, Dr. Brown.  After checking out Tyler's cuts, Dr. Brown tells us that stitches wouldn't be necessary.  Tyler's bottom lip cushioned the fall... his bottom teeth cut the inside of his mouth, and his top teeth cut the visible outer cuts.  So the cut marks didn't even line up and the doctor tells us that Tyler should heal quickly with minimal scarring.  Oh, I forgot to add that as I was checking Tyler in for this appointment, I noticed a sign that said "Don't forget to get your flu shots."  So, I took the time filling out even more paper work so that the three of us could get our flu shots.  I was shocked when Tyler said he'd get his shot first.  He was so brave and didn't even fuss.  I went next, putting on an extra brave face for Brian.  Poor Brian did not want to get that shot.  I had to sit him on my lap, use my right leg to hold down his flailing legs, and my right arm to wrap around his out of control arms.  We were all glad to get out of that office.

I knew Tyler was exhausted.  I asked him if he wanted to go home for lunch.  "Nope," he said.  "I just want to go to preschool."  So, Tyler ate all the snacks that I had in my purse for "lunch" as I drove him to preschool.  (It was my turn to drive two additional kids to preschool that day.  I had to call my friend, Mindy, and let her know that she'd have to drive her own kids.)  With blood stained pants and a bloody-slowly-turning-scabby-chin, Tyler runs in to preschool.  Nice visual, right?!

By 1pm, I was starving.  Brian already ate lunch at school, but I knew I needed to get some food into my system, so we headed to Chick-Fil-A.  I ordered a kids meal and sat next to the play area to watch Brian play.  It was nice to finally catch my breath.  We took our time in there because we had two hours to spare.  Across the parking lot was ShopKo.  We wandered around there looking at snow boots and toys.  The snow boots were too expensive to even consider... ($36... really?!)  Brian and I did luck out and find a perfect Christmas present for Tyler.  I can't wait to see his face when he opens it!

Back to the van we went.  The rain was really coming down.  We still had 20 minutes to spare.  I spotted Red Balloon Toy Store and we pulled over to quickly check it out.  Wow... it's a great store full of usual toys.  A store that I knew I'd have to come back to and do some Christmas shopping without kids.

Picked up Tyler and the twins, Brody and Gracee, from preschool.  Dropped the twins off at their neighbor's house (because their mom was at a Parent Teacher Conference.)  Their neighbor kept talking and talking and I was in a rush.  Tyler was not in the van and so I panicked as drove around the corner to my house.  Luckily, Tyler just ran home and was safe inside with Grandma Hallstrom.  Katie was napping and Tyler stayed home.  I freshened up real quick and it was out the door again.  Brian was with me and we went to the first Parent Teacher Conference of the year.  He's doing well and got a free book.  Then we stopped by the school's book fair and Brian picked out two books.  He chose a Power Rangers book and a Phineas and Ferb book.

FINALLY... it was time to go home.  It was a little bit after 5pm.  What a crazy day!  Things sure did not go as planned.  I was looking forward to watching Parenthood on TV that night, but in its place was a Presidential Debate.

P.S.  Two days later, I was at the register at the Dollar Tree, and I couldn't find my credit card.  I went home and for hours looked high and low for that credit card.  The next day, I got an email from the bank to alert me that someone had failed three times to get my password correct, so they wanted to alert me.  At that point, I for sure knew that my credit card had been stolen!  The last place I used my credit card was at the book fair.  I must have dropped the credit card in the school.  Sheesh!  I'm glad we got it all figured out.  What an end to a crazy day!

1 comment:

Laura Ward said...

Oh poor Tyler! I'm glad he's okay though. Sounds like a crazy day. One of my least favorite things at the bank is dealing with debit card fraud! A lot of the time the customer calls but sometimes I have to call them and let them know, either way it is never fun.