Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Journals


"To you women of today, who are old or young, may I suggest to you that you write, that you keep journals, that you express your thoughts on paper. Writing is a great discipline. It is a tremendous education effort. It will assist you in various ways, and you will bless the lives of many--now and in the years to come, as you put on paper some of your experiences and some of your musings." --President Gordon B. Hinckley
I have written journal entries on every single page of these 18 journals!  As a teenager, one of my lofty goals was to write in my journal every single day.  I must say that I did an excellent job at keeping this goal, rarely missing a day for over 10 years!  On the rare days that I didn't make a journal entry, I would make sure that the next time I opened my journal, I would write down the date of the day(s) that I missed and would write whatever I remember about that day.  Now, I must say that my journals aren't that interesting.  Mainly, I just wrote about what I did that day, what my grades were in school, about how I hated being bothered by boys at church dances, etc.  But I do find that it's fun to grab one of my old journals and read about what my life was like back then. It causes me to reflect on my earlier years and how much I've grown as a person. I still keep a handwritten journal.  A few times every month, I write journal entries.  I love my journals.  I feel like I need a special fireproof safe for them because I never want to loose them.  Do you keep a journal?  Tell me what you think about keeping a journal?  


Writing a Personal History
There are two general ways to write personal histories:  chronologically and categorically.  Categorically is: family information such as blessing and ordinances, schooling, marriage, childhood memories, faith-promoting experiences, health, hobbies, talents, work-related experiences, church service, etcetera.  You can choose your own method to tell your story.
Remember that your story is about you!  Describe your feelings, including your joys and disappointments.  Include enough detail to make the stories meaningful.

"Every important event in our lives should be placed in record by us individually."  - Joseph Fielding Smith

Centenarians - What they have in common
The majority of people who live to age 100 or greater share many traits.  They:
- Handle emotional stress well.
- Do not dwell on issues.
- Live for the day.
- Have a good sense of humor.
- Are adaptable, assertive, and independent.
- Have meaninful relationships with family and friends.
- Have a spiritual life.
- Stay active, both physically and mentally.
~ Thomas Perls, MD, Author of "Living to 100"

"Live that you may one day hand to your children and your children's children the blessings of a heritage even more worthy than your own."  ~ Elaine Cannon

"I shall endeavor to write some of the things upon this record, for the benefit of my posterity that shall come after me."  ~ Abraham 1:31

My Personal History
by: Ralene T. Montgomery

Write my personal history?  I haven't got time
For stories and fact and other such rhyme.
I'm so busy with cleaning the house,
Caring for the children, spending time with my spouse.
My church calling is demanding, it's already hard
Just to find enough time in the yard.
Surely it can't be expected of me
To take time to write my personal history.
The Prophet has told us to write one it's true;
But I have so many other things to do.

Write my personal history?  Well, maybe I should;
When it comes to putting words down on paper,
I'm not very good.
Even if I could find enough hours in the day,
I really don't know just what I would say.
I'll put if off for a year or two
When I won't have so many things to do.
After my children are married, then
Maybe I'll have some spare time again.

Two generations have since then passed by.
When a question is asked of a great grandchild, he sighs;
"I know nothing about my great grand-folks, you see,
For we haven't a record of their personal history,
Their joys and sorrows, their struggles and strifes."
It's true, something very valuable is lost
And can't be replaced at any cost
When a loved one passes on without a record to keep;
It surely gives cause for someone to weep.

Write my personal history?  I can't afford to wait,
For I never know when it might be too late.

1 comment:

Laura Ward said...

Wow Lisa, that's impressive! I think keeping journals is so important but I am so bad at it! I kept one off and on growing up and have about 5 or 6 from junior high, high school, and college. I was a faithful daily journal writer on my service missions in Nauvoo but I haven't done very good since. I need to get back into the habit. I think it's important to keep a record and it's also very therapeutic. I always seem a bit happier when I do write in a journal.