Sunday, March 01, 2015

Primary Chorister Successes

I have been the Primary Chorister since May of 2014.  Every once in awhile, I like to do something extra fun with the Primary.  My kids and I created Snowman Making Kits for the Primary kids over Christmas break.  I came up with the idea to have a SNOWMAN SHOP and we built our own unique snowman.  I took some white posterboard and cut out three large circles for the snowman's body and taped those onto the church chalkboard.  Then, I had cut outs for twig arms, hats, scarves and stuff.  I also had some stickers for the kids to choose from.  The stickers were random things that could be used for eyes, noses, and mouths.  The reverent kids got to come and up and choose an item to put on our snowman.  It was a fun game, especially when the snowman would end up with 3 hats, cookies for his eyes, etc.  At the end of singing time, I passed out the Snowman Making kits.  The kits consisted of 3 jumbo marshmallows, two pretzel sticks, and some raisins.


Another fun singing time that we did was for St. Patrick's Day this past Sunday.  On this particular day, we had visitors from our Stake for Ward Conference.  I chose songs that I knew the kids knew very well and wrote them on the back of 4 leaf clovers that I had my kids help cut out at home.  I hid the clovers all over the Primary room.  I chose a child to find a clover and bring it up front to the piano where I had five wooden blocks.  They then would put the clover in front of the block in which they'd like the secret letter revealed.  The kids participated and sang so well.  I am proud of our progress so far this year.  We've learned the sign language for both verses of "I Know That My Savior Loves Me."  We're also having fun with holding up prophet masks while learning the verses for "Follow The Prophet."  I taught the kids the first verse of "Nephi's Courage" with some fun hand motions that I was taught in Primary... (Thank you, Sister Heather Hardy).  Then, to my surprise, an 11 year old boy, Blake, raised his hand and begged for me and his little brother, Kade, to come up and sing the last two verses of "Nephi's Courage."  I consented and was floored by the awesome job that they did.  Watching them, proud smiles on their faces as they sang, made me so happy to know that the Primary kids are just loving singing time.  I feel like the atmosphere in the room is filled with the spirit, and the kids feel safe and loved in singing praises to their Heavenly Father.

I really love this calling and I'm so glad that I have been able to have all of my kids in Primary too so I can see them learn and have fun with the rest of the Primary.  I also go into the both the Junior and Senior Nursery's for 10 minutes each.  I hand out popsicle sticks with laminated stars and monkeys on them.  The songs we've been doing are, "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,"  "I am Like a Star," "Five Little Monkeys," "Five Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree," and "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes."

No comments: