Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Dear Grandpa Jerry

Here is a letter I wrote to my Grandpa Jerry when I found out about his failing health:

August 15, 2012

Dear Grandpa Jerry,

My mom sure got me crying today when I called her to get an update about you.  I'm so sorry to hear about the cancer.  That is awful news.  I wish I could be there right now, give you a great big hug, and and tell you that everything was going to be okay.  But it doesn't sound like there is any way to get rid of your cancer... darn it.

You are the best grandpa ever!  I've always looked up to you.  You are loving, hard working, thoughtful, and tell great stories.  To this day, I believe, as does the rest of your posterity, that you have THE BEST TASTING CORN!  Coming to the farm to visit was always a treat.  I'll always remember how you'd scare us girls when you'd climb up the stairs at night and pretend to be a bear.  You'd pop out, growl, grab our feet, and make us scream.  Anyway, I'm glad I could bring Sam, Brian, Tyler, and Katie over to visit back in February.  It sure was a special day.

Life is precious.  I try really hard not to take my wonderful family for granted.  I truly love and appreciate every member of my family and strive to keep in touch with everyone.  I believe that there is life after death.  I know that I will see you again... maybe not again in this life, but in the life hereafter.  I LOVE YOU, GRANDPA!  We're praying for you!  XOXO

Love, Lisa


Grandpa Jerry died at 4:30am on Sunday, September 29th in the comfort of his home.  We all miss him so much.  He was the best grandpa a girl could ask for.  

Gerald W. "JerryVan Wie


1921 - 2013 | Obituary

CANISTEO - Gerald W. "Jerry" Van Wie, 92, of state Route 36, passed away peacefully in the comfort of his home Sunday (Sept. 29, 2013) surrounded by his family following his battle with cancer.

Jerry was born June 27, 1921, in Jasper, to Bert and Martha (Whiting) Van Wie. On July 3, 1948, in Nunda he married Jean V. Cline, who survives and resides in Canisteo.

He was predeceased by his sisters, Helen VanWie and Ruth (Van Wie) Landsittel; and his brother, Harold Van Wie.

Jerry lived in the Canisteo Valley all of his life and since 1953 lived in Canisteo, where he owned and operated a dairy farm on state Route 36. He was a graduate of Canisteo Central School, class of 1939, and was a veteran of the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II, serving honorably from 1942-46.

Jerry served 10 years on the Canisteo School Board of Education and 5.5 years on the Steuben County B.O.C.E.S. Board. He was also a committeeman for the former Canisteo Agway and a former committeeman for A.S.C.S. for Canisteo and Hartsville.

In addition to his wife of 65 years, Jean Van Wie of Canisteo, Jerry is survived by three sons, G. Neil (Nan) Van Wie of Phoenix , Ariz., Wayne (Rebecca) Van Wie of Binghamton, and Karl (Pamela) Van Wie of Colorado Springs, Colo.; two daughters, Karen (Sheldon) Hallstrom of Horseheads and Ruth (Robert) Anderson of Kanona. He is also survived by a brother, Lyle (Carlann) Van Wie of Charleston, S.C.; 20 grandchildren;  34 great-grandchildren, one great-great-granddaughter and several nieces and nephews .

In keeping with Jerry's wishes, there will be no calling hours or service. Burial will be at the convenience of the family in Woodlawn Cemetery in Canisteo.

Memorial contributions in Gerald "Jerry" Van Wie's name may be made to the Canisteo Ambulance Fund, c/o Sandy Pierce, 35 Main St. Canisteo, NY 14823.

Arrangements are with the H.P. Smith & Son, Inc. Funeral Home in Canisteo.

Online condolences and memories may be made through hpsmithandsonfuneralhome.com.
Published in Hornell Evening Tribune on Oct. 1, 2013

No comments: